The word of God makes several things clear to us, but as for the issue at hand it makes these two clear points;
1) How we should live. Eph 4:22-5:4
2) The world will most likely hate us. John 15:18-25
I was prompted to ask these questions and write this blog as a result of the headlines about Michelle Bachman's clinic and their claims to be able to help homosexuals no longer be homosexuals. I read headlines like "Pray away the Gay" and "Michelle Bachman's Gay Cure" and the scenic-ism and ridicule in the headlines alone was so obvious I almost needed not read the articles themselves to know that they would make claims that anyone trying to bring deliverance to a person dealing with homosexuality was wrong, dangerous, or nutty. The only thing that was more disturbing than their ridicule was the lines that said Mrs. Bachman would not comment on the claims made by the media and the undercover activists that taped the interviews in her clinic.
The fact of the matter is, that we as Christians and true Disciples of Jesus Christ believe that deliverance from the sin proclivity of homosexuality is just as possible and necessary as deliverance from lying, stealing, hating, and all other kinds of sins we all have dealt with at one point or another. But if your goal to win the popular vote is going to stop you from saying that, then is that the vote you want to win?
Christ was clear, the world hated him and they will hate us too, because we are NOT OF THE WORLD. We are to be voices crying aloud and sparing not. We are to be preaching repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand. Will this make us popular with the world? NO. John the Baptist wasn't popular, he was beheaded by Government officials, Jesus was killed, Peter was crucified like Christ. All these were results of them taking a righteous stand for Christ. What makes us think we can take that kind of stand and be elected to office.
Ask yourself, in today's world and the current political climate can a Christian do the following and win a local election, let alone a national one:
- "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." Eph 4:29
- "Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice." Eph 4:30
- "And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." Eph 4:31....What if another Christian is your opponent?
- "neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks." Eph 5:4
When I look at just these few commands from the Word of God, i start to wonder less if we can win a national election and more why would we want to compromise to even try. We have been called to change the world not by invading its government, but by bring Heaven to invade Earth through our Faith, Prayer and Righteous works. We need to realize our mandate to live for Christ and try to win as many souls as possible not to win as many popularity contests as possible